Sunday, March 14, 2010

Square Dancing

square.jpg
Last night at my son's school they had a dance.  It was really a dance presentation.  All of the different grades had a specific international dance to do.  For instance, the 4th grade did "Tinikling" a popular Philippine folk dance. The 6th grade did a "Bollywood" dance to represent India and the 5th graders (my son's grade) did "The Virginia Reel" a square dance to represent America.  It was truly a delightful event to watch as the different kids danced. It also was a wonderful snapshot in childhood to see how committed some were and others who clearly wished they could have been anywhere but there. The square dance also brought up lots of memories for me as I remember learning those same dances in P.E. on rainy days.  It was Junior High School, now known as Middle School.  We would get into our gym clothes and go upstairs to the gymnasium for our lessons.  We didn't do the dance with the boys, not sure what they were doing, we did the square dancing with girls only.  I remember lots of giggles and a very good work-out.  
I also remember LOVING school dances. I was the whacky girl that would ask the boys to dance just so I could dance.  Just being able to move.  Not caring one bit if anyone was watching or what anyone thought. To quote my son, "ah, good times, good times".

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can TOTALLY see you doing that. This is what kids do... they bring back all kinds of memories.

    ReplyDelete