Sunday, April 11, 2010

Anza Borrego Camping

The birds-eye view of our glorious and secluded campsite.  My wonderful, now gone, red tent.  Before I get ahead of myself I want to write of this particular camping adventure.  I also want to lament on how I have wanted to write other entries to the blog but alas I have begun working full time and I'm feeling the pinch of life and it's harness of responsibility.  I, like so many other folks on this planet, must learn how to juggle a little better, duck and weave to achieve.  So thanks for that little vent and on to the adventure of Anza Borrego.


I know I speak of many blessings but it's true.  One of those blessings is my dear dad friend Bret.  He has allowed me to adventure where I'm not so sure I would be able to do so on my own.  I knew I wanted to do something for this Spring break but not sure what.  When Bret suggested Anza Borrego and started sending me wonderful links...I said sign me up.  I was even ready to go where there were no toilets!!!!!  That's what working full time will do to you.  I just wanted to get away from the fluorescent lights.  Unfortunately, none of our partners could go so we tackled the adventure together, with our kids.
Now he's got a four-wheel drive and I do not but it is a SUV.  I left the trip  planning to him.  And boy oh boy did he plan.  This trip was to see the wildflowers and the cactus in bloom.  I was not disappointed.

There was rain the day before which made the temperature beyond perfect. Unfortunately though because there was weather there was wind.  This was the downer part of the adventure.  Of all my adventures, I must say this one was the most harrowing.  In spite of the absolutely glorious hike we had, the wind almost brought me down.  I lamented earlier of my red tent going bye-bye.  The wind got the best of us on our last night.  I awoke in the middle of the night to the loudest noise.  It was as if I was on a 200 ft. Schooner and the sails were made of plastic shopping bags.  I used my flashlight to look to see if perhaps something had come undone.  Bret saw the light was on and yelled to me from his tent to see if everything was okay.  We yelled back and forth.  I got out to hammer down the stakes that were slowly being pulled up and that is when I noticed my tent was breaking up.  I staked down through the tent and realize that I will have to have a proper burial for her in the a.m.  All seems well and I go back inside.  I must now disclose that Connor is sound asleep.  He has not woken to the flapping of the tent, the yelling of Bret and I nor the re-staking of the tent.  I get back in bed thinking I have resolved all but the Schooner is still so bloody loud I start thinking of the stories I read way back when of the women on the Prairie during the 1840's going mad from the non-stop wind.  I snap out of it to realize the biggest noise culprit is the rain flap which is acting like a kite in the wind.  Since I'm trashing this tent I search in my little bedside kit (a lifesaver and I must write about this later) and find some gardening shears.  I go out of the tent, again, and snip off the rain flap.

There is peace.  Still little rumbles but nothing like it has been.  Connor is still sleeping and my Schooner is out and my prairie woman is smiling.  I will sleep and I do.
The next day Bret and I are a little exhausted.  We must pack up and leave.  We have Easter the next day and want to be home for that.  I think how horrible the noise was but am proud that I am on the other side of it.  Like most of life; there is the bitter and the sweet.
While celebrating Easter the next day in the comfort of our homes a large earthquake struck not very far from where we were camping.  It doesn't make that wind look so bad.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

3 comments:

  1. Delightful. I would, however, post that that earthquake was a 7.2!!! Not just any 'ole earthquake.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are. Thanks for the post as you just sealed the number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow KM! I'm glad you were safely back home. I'm sorry that I have missed coming here to comment... I have had no life between moving and staring a new job. I have to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete