Thursday, March 4, 2010

Our Local Library

First off let me apologize for not blogging in awhile.  My computer decided to take an un-approved vacation.  I have since ordered the part and said computer is now complying with company policy of only approved vacations.  As I have learned as a parent, "you make plans and God laughs".  So without further ado my local library:
Our branch, the Memorial Branch, located right across the street from Los Angeles High School.  It is about 5 blocks from our house so that makes it walking distance.  The librarians are wonderful as is the staff.  We probably visit it at least twice a week if not more.  In fact we've become regulars as money has become tighter and we cannot frequent the book stores like we have done in the past.  Plus, as we've put time limits on Connor's electronics he has become much more of a reader!  Cue the hallelujah chorus, it has worked.  If our library does not have a book he wants he knows to go to the reference librarian and she will order it from another branch.  They are great with notification through e-mails to let you know your book has arrived or that your book is due to come back in a few days. They even have DVD's you can check out.  They have a 2 day limit on DVDs, but tons of titles.  I cannot recommend it enough how important it is that you get to know your local library.
BTW should you happen to come to our local branch there is a food truck parked there from 3 to 4, "Felix and Mama" and they have the most decadent chicken fries I have ever had.  Quite frankly I've never had the combination before but when Connor and I saw the line of kids outside the truck we interviewed them and then had to dive in.
Fries and a good book.  Really, who can complain?

4 comments:

  1. Linda (Unwind Design)March 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM

    Libraries are a great place to explore, and one some of us overlook!
    Fabulous idea! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, let me say how ashamed I am that I don't go to the libraries anymore, where I used to LIVE. I don't have time to read anymore it seems, and people are no longer quiet in them... have you noticed that?

    I should be renting DVD's there -- I mean, they're free!

    Anyway, your library sounds great and let me join the chorus at how great it is that Connor is reading more by choice! Has he read Harriet the Spy? Even though it's a girl as the main character, I think he'd like it. It was what started me on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I hope more people will go to libraries as we don't want to lose them entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Sydney let's hope we don't lose our libraries. I also had another reader tell me you can reserve your books on line and pick up at the library! How great is that? The recession has made us all a little more creative : )

    ReplyDelete