Monday, March 8, 2010

In the Village, We are All Parents

food truck 480.jpg
In the last post I wrote about our wonderful library.  I also mentioned the decadent food truck that sits parked outside the library after school.  As I said, "who knew chicken and cheese fries could taste so good". I'm writing though to share an interesting experience I had while waiting in line for those delectable fries.  One day last week, Connor took the books and DVD's to the library while I waited in line to indulge.  Once he would drop off the goods he would join me in line at the truck.  There were two high school boys in front of me and off to the side was another boy who was waiting for his food.  He clearly knew the young man working inside the truck as they were discussing some friends they knew.  The real shocker for me is how they were discussing the friends.  The young man inside the truck was dropping F bombs like I have never heard before in my life.  Now mind you I have been around.  Here's an example: "man f@#$, she f@#$ and f@#$ we had F@#$ car and she was f@#$ but I'm f@#$ and you cannot f@#$ believe f@#$".  Using the word as a noun, conjunction, verb and adjective.  The two boys in front of me kept glancing nervously in my direction because the f police needed to be called.  Once I got over my initial shock and amazement of this conversation I realized Connor would be coming back any minute and I just didn't want him to hear this.  So I spoke up and politely asked the young men to please watch the language as I have a young son and I just don't think it's cool for him to hear that.  Not only did the young men stop the conversation, they actually apologized to me.  They were then able to continue their conversation without a single f bomb.  The two high school boys in front of me watched the whole exchange with wonderment.  I realized the outcome could have come out differently but I feel I approached them with respect.  Would they speak like that in front of their parents?  Was it my right to correct them?  Let me say if this were my child I would hope another "grown-up" would do the same.  How do kid's learn what is appropriate?  Do we continue to turn a blind's eye to behavior that's not okay?  There is a part of me that was surprised I spoke up but there's a bigger part of me that feels it's more necessary than ever to help with the parenting of all our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment