Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Downtown Treat

We went to the travel show today at the L.A. Convention Center and it wasn't as good as we remembered.  Which happens.  Afterwards we all decided to treat ourselves to a tasty yet affordable lunch.  We all agreed on Philippe's.  Unlike the travel show, Philippe's never disappoints.  It being Valentine's Day we thought it would be safe to go but nope it was more packed than ever.  I'm sure there's been plenty of first dates there.  I know I've brought a few.  For those who still eat meat, the beef deep is their signature sandwich.  They also do pork dip, ham dip, lamb and turkey.  They've been around since 1918 and I think it's as close to a landmark as they get.  Sawdust on the floor, model trains in the back and cash only.  It's loaded with history.  It's loaded with my personal history as I've been going there since my early 20's.  I still remember one Halloween night in 1979 while eating at Philippe's talking some friends into flying up to San Francisco because we could fly there for only $13.00 and crash at our friend Gregory's house in San Fran.  He was the membership director for "The Trocadaro Transfer" so we could get in for free.  I think the cab ride was more expensive than the flight.
Now here I am 30 years later with two 10 year old boys, my friend and her 6 year old son making more memories.  For me, it's a landmark for sure.  I know recently one of the second set of original owners passed away and to his family I say, "thanks for never disappointing and thanks for the memories".

I've included the link so you can find out more info for yourself.  It's worth the trip just to get a taste of old L.A..  Be careful, the mustard is really hot right now.
http://www.philippes.com/

3 comments:

  1. What airline had tickets at those prices???!!?? You were RIGHT to convince people to go! I woulda gone with you in a heartbeat.

    Don't remember this Philippes.. do I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A now defunct airline. It was the first leg going to Europe and it stopped in S.F. Sydney, next time you're in town we're going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum and thanks for the memories. I missed this trip to Philippes and then to SF. I do remember Gregory. I recall your wanting the group to rent a van and drive to SF? Am I remembering this right?

    ReplyDelete