Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good Cheap Fun

First off, let me say I do not work for the L.A. Times.  I read the L.A. Times and by reading the L.A. Times I saw the ad last year for the Los Angeles Times Travel and Adventure Show.  As a family we were in an extremely low cash flow point it and it was getting us down. I wanted to get us out of our cash flow melancholy. When I read kids 16 and under were free and I managed to finagle 2 adult tickets, we were off.
I admit, it is the type of event one must prepare for.  It is held at the Convention Center and lots of people go.  What was wonderful for our family is we made a game of it.  We pretended we were shopping for our vacation.  We went to the different booths and heard the different pitches and grabbed the various brochures.  Connor, of course, thought the Safari in Africa sounded great.  We were entranced with Maui and Europe.  We had yummy conversations about our choices.
activities.jpgsegway.jpg


At the show there were super activities too.  We LOVED learning to ride a Segway. The rope ladder that leads you to the zip line you ride across the Convention Center floor was beyond challenging and exhilarating.  There was a surf board that was similar to a bucking bronco in that the operator tried to throw you off...which Connor thoroughly enjoyed.  All free with admission! Cooking demonstrations, dancing and lots of little give aways.  I still smile when I use my Maui Condo pen.  I'll probably also call them when we're ready to go.  I know things are tough right now but I also know they will not always be tough.  Pretending is a great way to tenderize life.

Looking forward to going again this year.  Like any crowded event it is my experience to get there early and leave when it really starts filling up.  The early bird really does catch the worm.  Aloha.



http://events.latimes.com/travelshow/

1 comment:

  1. You guys DO know how to have fun. I can't believe all the things you got to do there... it was more than a convention. Good call on your part.

    ReplyDelete