Thursday, February 4, 2010

Low Budget Meals

When things get a little on the tough side of cope.  I do find myself looking towards the comfort side of food.  Yes, I know, not the best way to move through but it works for me. I don't do it often but every now and then I take my little recipe box filled with 3 X 5 cards that my mom typed on on her Selectric Typewriter. 


She sent the recipe box off with me when I moved away from home. I have used it on many occasions.  Not as many as in the beginning but lately a little more.  The other night I made Turkey Enchilada Casserole.  The deliciousness of the this I cannot adequately describe.  The comfort level was off the charts.  Connor and my partner absolutely love this dish.  So here it is to you, in comfort, love and old fashioned goodness. Passed to you verbatim (except the poor white trash part).
My Mom's Poor White Trash Turkey Enchilada Casserole
(she of course used beef)
1 lb. ground turkey                           2 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt                                          1 tbsp chili powder                           
1 tbsp paprika   
3 tbsp flour                                      1 tsp crushed oregano
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce                 1/4 cup water                                      
cup sliced black olives                       1 cup shredded cheddar/jack mixture
1/4 cup chopped white onion            8 corn tortillas

Fry meat in oil until lightly browned and crumbly.  Add salt, chili powder, paprika, oregano and flour.  Mix well.  Add tomato sauce and water.  Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives and simmer 10 min.  Spoon thin layer of meat sauce in shallow baking dish.  Cover w/row of tortillas.  Add half of remaining sauce; sprinkle with onion and cheese.  Add another layer of tortillas and remaining sauce.  Sprinkle generously with onion and cheese.  Bake about 25 min. @ 350 or until bubbling hot and cheese melts.  Cut on wedges.  Makes 6 servings.
My lazy way is to cook the turkey with taco seasoning and do the layers the same way but use Trader Joe's Enchilada sauce (which taste like buttah-it's so good)  Either way you will not be disappointed. Bon Appetite

3 comments:

  1. oooh, I love the idea of getting recipes here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops I meant to add how great it is that you have a recipe box that your mom put together for you herself. That is one of the most prized things I could imagine having...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney, they are all of this fatty comfort food variety. It is nice to open the little file every now and then to see what would be fun. Hmmm I haven't done chicken and dumplings in a while.

    ReplyDelete