Sunday, January 17, 2010

Destruction and Nourishment


I've been watching the wrecking ball slowly plow down the very large bldg. on the corner of LaBrea and Wilshire for a few weeks now. The photo to your left was the first stage and the one on your right the final stages.  It's an entire block from Wilshire to 8th.  My sources tell me they are going to build an apartment complex, others think a subway station.  I suppose if I sniff around I could find out.  It's almost mesmerizing to watch the wrecking ball swing and I can't help but remember when my son was small we used to hang around construction sites and train yards watching the simplest of actions.  This time though we wonder why can't we use what is there?  Why do we destroy? Why can't we at least use some of the existing building? Granted it wasn't anything of substantial architectural substance (not that that matters look what happened to The Ambassador Hotel).  Yet, here I digress.  For those with little ones who like to watch the big equipment get it whilst it still stands.

In yesterday's blog I wrote about the Hollywood Farmer's which got our family tastbud's hankering for some culture and good produce.  Not my son though he did not like the idea of walking around looking at produce.  He is 10 and if it doesn't have a knob or a plug it doesn't interest him quite so much (we're working on that)  Surprise of surprises once outside and walking around he had a great time.  He enjoyed looking at the last of yummy Heirloom tomatoes and giving them character attributes.  Figuring out what he could buy for seventy-five cents. Wonderful music, fantastic street scene and food from every culture imaginable.  Luckily we ate lunch before we went but why oh why is there always room for Kettle corn?  The Hollywood Farmer's Market is every Sunday on Ivar between Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset.  When you are there you definitely feel like you live in the wonderful eclecticness of this city.


No comments:

Post a Comment